Do you like salads? Are you a multi-tasker? You simply HAVE to try this recipe! It’s so good, AND good for you! In just a few simple steps, you’ll have a beautiful and delicious salad that you can feel GOOD about eating! The ingredients are flexible, use what you like, don’t use what you don’t like, get it!? But the steps are absolutely a MUST! Non-negotiable! The salad won’t turn out right if you don’t do it right!
- 2-3 chicken breasts (or more, depending on how many people you’re feeding, and how chicken-y you like your salads)
- 1 lemon
- garlic salt
- ground black pepper
- olive oil
- lettuce of your choice
- veggies of your choice, but might I suggest the following: tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet bell peppers, green onions, avocado, celery…
- berries of your choice: Strawberries and/or raspberries are deelish!
- nuts or crunchy bits of your choice: I prefer slivered almonds.
- reduced fat feta cheese (or not, up to you)
For the dressing:
- olive oil (extra-virginy, of course)
- balsamic vinegar (a goon one!)
- Dijon mustard
- s&p, or Spike, or Mrs. Dash…whatever you prefer
- meat pounder or rolling-pin
- gallon-size Ziploc bags
- gym shoes/clothes
- wrist watch/clock/timing device
STEPS TO TAKE (a.k.a. Instructions)
- Put your chicken breasts into a Ziploc bag. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice (or the bottle kind will do in a pinch), a little drizzle of olive oil (maybe 1-2 teaspoons) a dash of garlic salt and some ground black pepper (to taste). *I don’t often measure when I cook…so that’s the best I can do.
- POUND out your frustrations until your breasts (correction: the CHICKEN breasts) are the same thickness throughout, about 1/2″-3/4″
- Place chicken in the refrigerator.
- Lace up your gym shoes.
- Get dressed in the appropriate workout attire.
- CRITICAL STEP! Workout for at least 45 minutes! No less! (More is acceptable, as long as it’s not overnight) Feel free to choose whatever exercise method you like. Might I suggest: a jog/run/walk outside if it’s nice weather, pop in your favorite workout DVD (Insanity, Chalean Extreme, Turbo Fire, Les Mills Pump, P90X…etc…), a yoga class, pump some iron! You get the idea!
- When your time is up, place chicken breasts on a pre-heated grill and cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Chop up lettuce and veggies. *Don’t forget to flip those chicken boobs after 5 minutes!
- Whisk approximately 1 part olive oil to 2 parts balsamic vinegar + 1/2 part Dijon , minced garlic + seasonings in a small bowl.
- Toss the dressing with lettuce.
- Top with chopped veggies.
- Retrieve chicken from the grill, slice into strips and place desired amount on top of individually portioned salads.
- Don’t forget the nuts and berries!