This rich and creamy soup is delicious, quick and family-friendly!
In typical Angie fashion, I started with a recipe, but made enough changes that it is just easier to write it up the way that I made it so that I don’t have to keep explaining the substitutions when I share the recipe.
But full credit goes to Ali over at Gimme Some Oven for the inspiration to make this amazing recipe! Original recipe is here.
For our family’s taste and preferences, I changed some of the seasonings, included some add-ins and changed some of the cooking methods. 🙂
Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 6 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice (not a blend!)
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 large (about 1 pound) sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced (this variety holds up better than white mushrooms)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 large handfuls of kale, roughly chopped with thick stems removed OR spinach
- shredded chicken (I used pre-cooked and shredded from Costco)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot pressure cooker to sauté and add olive oil. When the oil gets warm, add onions and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes until onion is starting to become translucent. Add carrots, celery and sweet potato and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Then add mushrooms, bay leaf, poultry seasoning, thyme and broth. Stir briefly to combine.
- Cover and turn valve to “sealing”. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes. When timer goes off, allow the Instant Pot to sit for 10 minutes (natural release). Then carefully turn the valve to “venting” and release the remaining pressure (quick release). Remove lid and discard the bay leaf (if you can find it!) 😉
- While you’re waiting those final 10 minutes, make your cream sauce on the stove. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour until combined, and cook for 1 minute. Gradually pour in the milk, and whisk until combined. Keep cooking and stirring until the mixture has thickened. This happens pretty quickly! Remove from heat.
- Add the cream sauce, shredded chicken and kale (or spinach) to the soup, and stir gently until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with some crusty bread if you like! On it’s own it’s a perfect meal!
This recipe works perfectly for a 2B Mindset Lunch! Have a small side salad to boost your veggies even more!