When I was little, my mom used to make that Good Seasons salad dressing that you but in the packet and mix up yourself. You know what I’m talking about right?!
She had this cute little glass cruet that she mixed it in and kept it in the fridge. Almost homemade!
I loved that stuff SO MUCH! I would intentionally put too much on my salad so that I could (here’s where it gets gross)… DRINK IT!
Well, I thought I had outgrown that temptation, until I made THIS!
CREAMY GARLIC SALAD DRESSNG
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3-5 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (dry works fine too!)
- 1 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey or agave nectar
Place everything in the blender and blend for 30 seconds or until combined. Store in an airtight container (I like mason jars) in the refrigerator. Be sure to shake it well before using after refrigeration.
If you follow the 21 Day Fix, this counts as one orange container.
I love making my own dressings. It’s so easy and I know exactly what’s in it! I also know what’s NOT in it! No additives, preservatives or other chemicals. I like to shake mine up with my salad to cover every little leaf! That way, a little goes a long way.
And if you used a little too much, you might be tempted to drink it!
It’s well documented that I am in love with making my own salad dressing! It’s SO easy, clean, and delicious! It really just takes a few ingredients, as opposed to the bottled dressings that list a PARAGRAPH of ingredients that almost entirely unrecognizable! This is my latest, greatest, bestest, most favoritest homemade salad dressing! This is yet another recipe from the popular 21 Day FIX program. I just modified a few of the ingredients to my taste. 🙂
(Makes 8 servings)
3 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. fresh lemon juice
3 T. Dijon mustard
1 T. honey
2 cloves garlic chopped
¼ t. Sea salt (I like to substitute 1/2 t. Mrs. Dash or Spike no-salt seasonings)
¼ t. ground black pepper
6 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine vinegar, lemon juice, mustard, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl; whisk to blend.
- Slowly add oil while whisking; mix well
Tip: Store leftover dressing in a covered container (I like to use Ball jars) in the fridge. I often double this recipe, because my husband likes to take some of it to work. If dressing thickens when cold, hold at room temp. for 30 minutes and stir before serving.
Do you like salads? Are you a multi-tasker? You simply HAVE to try this recipe! It’s so good, AND good for you! In just a few simple steps, you’ll have a beautiful and delicious salad that you can feel GOOD about eating! The ingredients are flexible, use what you like, don’t use what you don’t like, get it!? But the steps are absolutely a MUST! Non-negotiable! The salad won’t turn out right if you don’t do it right!
- 2-3 chicken breasts (or more, depending on how many people you’re feeding, and how chicken-y you like your salads)
- 1 lemon
- garlic salt
- ground black pepper
- olive oil
- lettuce of your choice
- veggies of your choice, but might I suggest the following: tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet bell peppers, green onions, avocado, celery…
- berries of your choice: Strawberries and/or raspberries are deelish!
- nuts or crunchy bits of your choice: I prefer slivered almonds.
- reduced fat feta cheese (or not, up to you)
For the dressing:
- olive oil (extra-virginy, of course)
- balsamic vinegar (a goon one!)
- Dijon mustard
- s&p, or Spike, or Mrs. Dash…whatever you prefer
- meat pounder or rolling-pin
- gallon-size Ziploc bags
- gym shoes/clothes
- wrist watch/clock/timing device
STEPS TO TAKE (a.k.a. Instructions)
- Put your chicken breasts into a Ziploc bag. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice (or the bottle kind will do in a pinch), a little drizzle of olive oil (maybe 1-2 teaspoons) a dash of garlic salt and some ground black pepper (to taste). *I don’t often measure when I cook…so that’s the best I can do.
- POUND out your frustrations until your breasts (correction: the CHICKEN breasts) are the same thickness throughout, about 1/2″-3/4″
- Place chicken in the refrigerator.
- Lace up your gym shoes.
- Get dressed in the appropriate workout attire.
- CRITICAL STEP! Workout for at least 45 minutes! No less! (More is acceptable, as long as it’s not overnight) Feel free to choose whatever exercise method you like. Might I suggest: a jog/run/walk outside if it’s nice weather, pop in your favorite workout DVD (Insanity, Chalean Extreme, Turbo Fire, Les Mills Pump, P90X…etc…), a yoga class, pump some iron! You get the idea!
- When your time is up, place chicken breasts on a pre-heated grill and cook for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Chop up lettuce and veggies. *Don’t forget to flip those chicken boobs after 5 minutes!
- Whisk approximately 1 part olive oil to 2 parts balsamic vinegar + 1/2 part Dijon , minced garlic + seasonings in a small bowl.
- Toss the dressing with lettuce.
- Top with chopped veggies.
- Retrieve chicken from the grill, slice into strips and place desired amount on top of individually portioned salads.
- Don’t forget the nuts and berries!