When we are all running in different directions for kids’ activities and events, we have what we call FFY night – “fend for yourself”. There are almost always leftovers, salad fixins, and other quick options to choose from…and cereal in case of emergencies!
Last night was one of those nights! When I scanned the fridge, the first thing I saw was lettuce I had already chopped up for the week, a jar of pickles and a leftover burger. CHEESEBURGER SALAD! I’ve seen some different recipes circulating the internets and the Pinterest, so I used a couple of those for inspiration and ultimately created my own. 🙂
My husband is doing a keto diet right now, and this salad is keto-approved! 🙂
*I made an individual serving for my salad, but if you were making enough for the whole family, or leftovers, you can use the following amounts. For less…use less! 😉
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1-2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2-3 heads of romaine (or whatever lettuce you like)
- 1 cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Pickles (diced)
- 1/2 sweet onion (sliced or diced)
- 1/2 cup mayo (I used avocado mayo)
- 2 roma tomatoes (diced)
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp “Everything” spice mix (or paprika)
- 5-6 drops of liquid Stevia (or sweetener of choice)
- Brown ground beef in a pan over medium heat. Season with salt & pepper. Stir fry, adding garlic and breaking up the pieces with a spatula, until the beef is browned. Drain any excess fat.
- Meanwhile, add mayo, tomatoes, mustard, vinegar, seasoning and sweetener to a small bowl, mix and set aside. Adjust sweetener to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Combine the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add any other burger toppings you like. Add the ground beef. Toss with dressing and enjoy!