Here I am posting another soup recipe. We love this one, too!
Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can of tomatoes (diced/stewed)
- 1 can enchilada sauce (med/mild)
- 1/2 C. diced onions
- 1 chopped jalapeno (or any hot pepper…to your taste) OR 1- 4 oz. can diced chili peppers (if you want it milder)
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 4 C. chicken broth
- 1 t. cumin
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 C. black beans
- 10 oz. package frozen corn
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 T. olive oil
*optional extras for garnish: lime juice, cilantro, diced avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, hot pepper/green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. *Sometimes I put the chicken in frozen, in that case I add a little time. During the last 30-60 minutes (when you get home from work) shred chicken, then add corn and beans (rinsed and drained).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup.
- Serve with garnishes of choice. Enjoy!
21 Day Fix containers: (1/5 cup serving)
1/2 RED 1/2 GREEN 1/2 YELLOW *Don’t forget to count the toppings!
This is probably one of my favorite soups of all time! I typically make mine with sweet Italian turkey sausage, but you could use pork, or spicy or whatever you like!
I’ve used whole wheat tortellini, frozen, and fresh. You just need to adjust cooking time according to the directions on the package. Since it’s added at the end, that’s easy to do.
You can leave out the wine, add more broth instead, or water. Sometimes a add a little more broth at the end to achieve the amount of brothiness that we like! 🙂 As you can see…this recipe can be modified to your taste.
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 pound Turkey Sausage
- 1 small chopped onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 5-6 cup broth (vegetable, beef or chicken would work)
- 1/2 cup red wine (or more broth)
- 1/2 cup water
- 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 T. basil
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cup sliced zucchini or squash (or both)
- 1 pkg. tortellini (mine is 9 oz.)
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups baby spinach
1. In a large pot (dutch oven), heat oil, add sausage and brown. Remove from pot, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings.
2. Saute onion, garlic and carrots. Stir in broth, water, wine, tomatoes, basil, oregano, tomato sauce and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat: simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
3. Stir in zucchini/squash and parsley. Simmer covered for another 20-30 minutes. *Add the tortellini the last 10 minutes. Add spinach at the very end. Sprinkle a little Parmesan on each serving. Makes about 8 servings.