Mediterranean Vegetarian Quinoa Salad
Let me introduce you to my lunch! Man did this hit the spot today! And I’ve got a TON leftover which will be GREAT for lunches for the rest of this week. And it will travel well, so I’ll be taking it on the go, too! 🙂 PS – You don’t have to be a vegetarian to enjoy this salad! As a matter of fact, feel free to add some cut up grilled chicken or whatever meat-type products you’d like!
- 2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup quinoa (I used red today)
- 1/2 red onion – chopped
- 1 sweet bell pepper – chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes – diced
- 1 can chickpeas – rinsed
- 1/2 sliced black olives (kalamata would be great!)
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 2-3 T. dry)
- 2 lemons – squeezed
- 2 t. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- ground sea salt & pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions (using broth instead of water). Wait until cooled to add to the rest of the ingredients.
- Meanwhile chop veggies and add to a large bowl with chickpeas, olives, feta and parsley.
- In a separate bowl, mix lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add the cooled quinoa to the bowl and toss gently with the dressing.
Serving suggestion: I put mine over a bed of chopped romaine lettuce. *It comes with its own salad dressing already, no need to add more!
Makes 8 servings
1 serving = 179 calories, 6 grams protein, 16 grams carbs.