Mmmm… I’m drooling just thinking about how good this was!
I made this for a family visit yesterday, and it was a HIT! The kids loved it too! (Well…all but one, but he hates most everything I cook! Hoping he grows out of that!) 😉
This is creamy comfort food, with WHOLE food ingredients! *No red cans were opened for this recipe!
And…it’s 21 Day Fix approved! SCORE!
I love the way the quinoa crust on top turned out!
Feel free to get creative with your veggies and spices. There are a lot of combos that would be quite tasty I think!
- 2 eggs, large
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 2/3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups quinoa – cooked & cooled
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 bunch broccoli – chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 1/2 large onion – finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen mixed veggies – thawed
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast – diced
- 2 t. olive oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites together. Add thyme, cheese, quinoa and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. In a small bowl, whisk broth, milk, flour, salt, pepper and set aside.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat and add oil. Add garlic and onion, saute until translucent. Slowly pour slurry (broth and milk mixture) into the skillet, whisking and making sure no flour is left at the bottom of the bowl. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat and add veggies and chicken and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish and flatten with a spatula. Drop spoonfuls of quinoa mixture on top and spread with a spatula to cover the filling evenly. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes, cut into 8 portions and serve hot.
21 Day FIX portions:
1 serving = 1 yellow, 1 red, 1 green
For more recipes like this one, get on my list to receive my weekly meal plan. Always healthy and family friendly. It’s FREE and delivered to your inbox weekly for easy planning and shopping!
Receive My FREE Weekly Meal Plan
Kale (not quale!) – I took that joke TOO far! 😉
I was in the mood for a Mediterranean salad the other night, and didn’t really feel like looking for recipes on-line, so I just made this one up! And oh MAN was it delicious! My husband and I gobbled this up and fought for the left-overs. (Slight exaggerations occur on this blog from time to time). Oh! And this is super easy, too! And I’m all about easy!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Greek Quinoa Kale Salad
Makes 8 servings
- 1 c. Quinoa (I used red and brown – for fun!)
- 2 c. water
- 3 c. chopped kale (I used curly leaf for this recipe)
- *1/4 t. kosher salt (optional)
- 1 long cucumber (or 2 regular)
- 6-7 roma tomatoes (or whatever tomatoes you like!)
- 1/4 C. chopped red onion
- 2-3 T. chopped fresh parsley (or 1 T. dry)
- *Optional add-ins: kalamata (or black olives), light feta cheese
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T. red wine vinegar
- juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1-2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 t. Mrs. Dash, Spike or any other all-purpose seasoning
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Prepare quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside to cool. While the quinoa is cooking, place the chopped kale in a large bowl. *Sprinkle with kosher salt. IMPORTANT STEP: Massage the kale! WHAT?! Yep…I promise, it makes ALL the difference! Simply rub together, smash, toss and smash for a few minutes and the texture becomes much softer and better for salads! Chop the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and parsley. When the quinoa is cooled, transfer to a big bowl. Add kale and chopped veggies. Whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour over everything. Toss gently. Add optional mix-ins like olives and feta cheese.
Tell me that’s not delicious!
If you’re following the 21 Day FIX…one serving counts as 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 orange (olives), 1 blue (feta), 1 t. (olive oil)
If you’re NOT following the 21 Day FIX, but you’re interested in doing the 21 Day program that’s helping people lose 10 – 15 pounds in just 21 days, than you’re in luck! I’m starting a new 21 Day FIX group on Monday October 6 where you’ll learn how to incorporate foods like this, as well as daily 30 minute workouts, and get GREAT results in just 21 Days! Fill in the info below, and I’ll tell you how to get started.