The average # of calories a person eats on Thanksgiving!
There are some traditional dishes that are really easy to lighten up! Get all the taste with half the calories, and a lot less regret!
I have a FREE group starting TODAY where we’ll share some healthy holiday recipes, tips and even give away some prizes! It’s a complimentary group and anyone can join! You’ll take away a collection of healthy recipes to use this week, for upcoming holiday parties or just whenever!
Recipes like this healthier green bean casserole! *I’m a sucker for a GBC! No canned soup in this recipe which cuts the calories, fat and sodium in HALF!
- 5 Tbsp. whole wheat purpose flour, divided use
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 medium onion, (½ onion thinly sliced, ½ onion chopped), divided use
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped, stems discarded
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp. dry sherry wine
- 1 lb. frozen French-cut green beans
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Combine 2 Tbsp. flour, paprika, and garlic powder in a medium bowl; mix well.
- Add sliced onion; mix until well coated. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sliced onion mixture; cook, turning once or twice, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel. Set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the liquid released from mushrooms is almost completely evaporated.
- Add remaining 3 Tbsp. flour, onion powder, thyme, salt, and pepper; mix until vegetables are coated.
- Add milk and sherry; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Add green beans; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add yogurt; mix until combined.
- Place green bean mixture in casserole dish. Top with onion mixture.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 2 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 1 mg
Sodium: 199 mg
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugars: 6 g
Protein: 5 g
But…what if you overdo it anyway…