Mmmm… I’m drooling just thinking about how good this was!
I made this for a family visit yesterday, and it was a HIT! The kids loved it too! (Well…all but one, but he hates most everything I cook! Hoping he grows out of that!) 😉
This is creamy comfort food, with WHOLE food ingredients! *No red cans were opened for this recipe!
And…it’s 21 Day Fix approved! SCORE!
I love the way the quinoa crust on top turned out!
Feel free to get creative with your veggies and spices. There are a lot of combos that would be quite tasty I think!
- 2 eggs, large
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 2/3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups quinoa – cooked & cooled
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 bunch broccoli – chopped
- 3 garlic cloves – minced
- 1/2 large onion – finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen mixed veggies – thawed
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast – diced
- 2 t. olive oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and egg whites together. Add thyme, cheese, quinoa and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. In a small bowl, whisk broth, milk, flour, salt, pepper and set aside.
- Preheat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat and add oil. Add garlic and onion, saute until translucent. Slowly pour slurry (broth and milk mixture) into the skillet, whisking and making sure no flour is left at the bottom of the bowl. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook until sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat and add veggies and chicken and stir to combine.
- Transfer to a 9 x 13 baking dish and flatten with a spatula. Drop spoonfuls of quinoa mixture on top and spread with a spatula to cover the filling evenly. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 – 10 minutes, cut into 8 portions and serve hot.
Receive My FREE Weekly Meal Plan