I’m still getting a zillion peppers from our CSA farm and trying to come up with different ways to use them ALL!
Step 1 – Share some with my neighbor!
Step 2 – Search the internet for recipes to start with and then change to match the contents of my fridge and pantry! Which brings us to last week’s creation:
Stuffed Pepper Soup – with lean ground turkey and quinoa (or brown rice)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 – 1.25 pounds of lean ground turkey
- 3 bell peppers (any color will do!) – chopped
- 1 med. onion – diced
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2-3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t. marjoram
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
In a large pot, over medium heat, add olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent (about 2-3 minutes). Add turkey and cook through. Drain fat, if any. Add peppers and cook about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, 2 cups of chicken broth, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, marjoram, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes, adjusting consistency with reserved 1 C. of broth as needed. Serve with 1/2 cup of quinoa or brown rice.
Makes about 8 servings
- WITH quinoa/rice – 241 calories, 17 g. protein, 32 g. carbs
- without quinoa – 131 calories, 13 g. protein, 12 g. carbs
21 Day Fix containers: 1 red 1 yellow 1 green