Let’s be clear, I don’t grow these veggies, because my thumb is not even close to green. I am happy to support my local farmers! 🙂
I’ve been making this for years…and it’s always a hit! Even the kids like it – I think the cheese helps. Because seriously…everything tastes better with cheese!
I always make enough to enjoy the leftovers for a couple of days.
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (more or less to taste)
- 2-3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 t. basil (fresh is great too!)
- 1 t. paprika
- 1 t. dried oregano
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ – 2 cups chopped tomatoes (garden fresh are BEST!)
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
- Precook your rice and set aside 2 cups. (I use my Instant Pot for perfectly cooked brown rice SO much faster than the stove!)
- Preheat oven to 375° and spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, squash onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Season with basil, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Mix in the cooked rice, chopped tomatoes and 1 cup of the cheese. Continue to cook until heated through.
- Transfer to the baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and dig in!
FIX container equivalents: 1 green, 1 yellow, 1/2 t., 1 blue