It’s been awhile since I shared a recipe. You won’t believe how easy and delicious this is! This received rave reviews from the family! As always, I started with a recipe in my hand, but then quickly put it down and went my own way with it. 🙂
I think the key here is to let your chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes, but up to 8 hours. Then you’ll just need to chop up your veggies and pineapple and throw it all together.
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated (you could use dry if you don’t have fresh)
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts), chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color), cut into 1-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2-3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/4 c. water (or broth)
- 1 T. corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, optional
- *optional extras: bamboo shoots, water chesnuts, onions (hubby doesn’t like them, but they would be good)
Notes: We like our Chinese food a little ‘saucy’ and a little spicy. You can adjust amounts accordingly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, broth, honey, garlic, ginger and pepper flakes. Place chicken in a large shallow dish or Ziploc bag. Pour soy sauce mixture over chicken, tossing gently. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and marinade and sauté for 5-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and reserve. Add broccoli and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Then add the sliced carrots and bell peppers and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender. Add pineapple and cook for 2 more minutes. Add reserved chicken back to the pan. Whisk together the water (or broth) and corn starch and stir into the pan to thicken the sauce. Serve over brown rice.
This recipe made about 8 servings. One serving of the chicken mixture is about 135 calories and 13 grams of protein. Served over one serving (1/2 cup) of brown rice (@170 calories), will be a grand total of 305 calories.